*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 7 March 2017

Birmingham here we come.

16649372_972016792953150_3908543600560960044_n

Hi Friends and Followers.

Tuesday morning began at 6.30 am with the sound of Canada Geese leaving the field opposite us, where they had roosted overnight. They were heading for the lake behind the Christmas trees, which alongside the towpath. No doubt they spend their daytime there. With us both being awake, I made us the usual morning brew and we discussed the tactics for the day, which included heading into Birmingham.

Having gotten up and walked Paddy, made breakfast and got the fires stoked up for the day, I did some hand washing, which I would spin whilst on the move. We left our over night mooring at 9.35 am, the first thing for me to do was to open the Shirley Lift Bridge.

IMG_8418

There is something all empowering when you hold the traffic up. This lift bridge is not exactly quick in its operation, but on such a beautiful morning, I was non to bothered.

IMG_8419

Not long after setting off, we had the knocking back and this time we thought it was coming from the propeller, so we pulled over and Keith checked the propeller and this was what we found. We thought maybe the beds were what was causing the kicking and low and behold the knocking did stop, so job done we thought.

IMG_8421

The towpaths are much nicer as you head towards Birmingham.

IMG_8437

We then entered Brandwood Tunnel (352 yards).

IMG_8441

Out the other side.

IMG_8453

Next came Kings Norton Stop Lock, which is a Guillotine lock. In the days of the private canal companies, the stop locks were common at junctions, because this meant the companies could protect their water supply from any newcomer who may wish to steal it. The King’s Norton one is unusual, because it has two wooden guillotine gates, mounted in steel frames and balanced by chains and counterweights. These days the gates are kept open. It is sad however to see then written all over. People have no respect for their heritage.

IMG_8470 

11.45 am we were heading for the junction and onto the Worcester and Birmingham Canal.

IMG_8474

Passed by the Cadbury Factory and of course the Bournville station.

IMG_8485

Let the train take the strain to and from Birmingham, as the railway line runs alongside the canal.

IMG_8498

As we approached Birmingham, we stopped past Granville Street Bridge to empty the cassette and top up with water, before moving through Gas Street and Broad Street Tunnel.

IMG_8507

IMG_8508

We are now moored up in Birmingham opposite the Barclay Card Arena, but could just as easily be by the seaside, because the seagulls are making their presence known. The YONEX All England Open Badminton Championships are taking place at the Barclay Card Arena at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails