*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Sunday 23 October 2016

Catherine de Barnes.

Hi Folks.

We had a lovely night on our weekend mooring, but there was a very poor signal, so we bow hauled Hadar through the bridge 'ole on to some other moorings and hey presto the signal is much better.

After a very leisurely start to the day, we decided to take a walk around Catherine de Barnes such as it is. You walk up on to the road bridge, making sure you do not get run over by the traffic, which is busy. You actually need to cross the road to get on to the pavement. Having done this we walked past The Boat Inn, which is the only pub in the village. There is a Spar shop and a family run restaurant on the pavement side of the road. We crossed over to walk down Henwood Road, because I was looking for the old Isolation Hospital.
In 1907, a "fever hospital" was built in Henwood Lane as a joint operation of the Solihull and Meriden Councils for isolating patients with infectious diseases such as diphtheria, typhoid fever and smallpox. In 1978, Janet Parker died here, and is the last known victim of smallpox in the world. The hospital closed in the mid 1980s and in 1987 was converted to residential use.
In the 1950s, when contagious diseases became less prevalent, Catherine-de-Barnes became a convalescent maternity hospital, with the first child apparently being born there on 25 March 1953.
We walked on down the road further and found this little gem. Henwood Mill.
Stunning little place and it still has its working water wheel.
It is a former 400 year old flour mill, which is now a dwelling.
Ok any idea what this is referring too. It was on the crossroads in Catherine de Barnes.

Today being Sunday, we have had a leisurely day and a lovely roast dinner at The Boat Inn, which is a Chef and Brewer. I can totally recommend their Millionaires Cheesecake and I know Keith will tell you to go for their Ultimate Sticky Toffee Pudding, which did look amazing.








No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails