*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Saturday 30 April 2016

Day One. Liverpool getting our bearings.

Brilliant start to our day, the sun was shining.

Paddy and I enjoyed a lovely walk around the Salthouse Dock.

yellow submarine

In the dock are the Yellow Submarine and the Titanic hotel boat next door. You can book apartments on them for the whole experience.

hadar

Hadar looked tiny in the big dock.

Back on the boat, we decided we would get our bearing on our first full day in the beautiful city. I made a picnic lunch and we set off to have an initial scout around Liverpool to find our bearings for the rest of our week here.

We headed for the Information Centre close to Salthouse Dock where we are moored to pick up a local map, which has proved very handy. We had our first look across the Mersey.

birkenhead

There were storm clouds gathering for the first ferry trip out.

ferry

Love the colour scheme.

Then we set off into the city centre, found the Chinese Buffet which we will visit sometime this week, rude not too really. We popped into Lime Street station, one which Keith have travelled to a few times in his youth.

keith

During the mid 1970’s Keith occasionally worked in the main telephone exchange in Liverpool. On the map we got from the Information Centre we noticed the street name Old Hall Street, the memories came back, this was the street the exchange was in, we wondered if it was still there. We found the street and walking a long it and Keith spotted this plaque, and the name rang a bell.

BT

This was the telephone exchange, the building is still here, and at present still owned by BT.

From there we headed back to the water front, to the new canal link in front of the Liver Building, which we travelled along yesterday.

3 graces

The Three Graces standing proud.

brockelbank

We finished our walk around with a visit on the tug Brocklebank, which was fascinating as she was built at Yarwood’ s in Northwich, where “Pisces” was built.

engine

Keith enjoyed nattering about engines. Brocklebanks engine is 8 cylinder.

We had a fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails