*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 22 July 2013

Moored alongside the National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham.

Map picture

Travelled 14 miles worked 3 locks in a time of 4 hours 35 minutes.

I can honestly say I had the most wonderful weekend. Even though it was a task to get Paddy off the boat for his walks, the mooring above Hazelford Lock was lovely, it was like having our very own private island with all the joys of the wildlife and peace. For the wildlife photographs you can check out my Canal Flora and Fauna Blog.

IMG_7076

We left Hazelford Ferry Island at 8.45 am with very low cloud shrouding the river.

IMG_7083

It made it feel quite eerie with the cloud rolling up the river.

IMG_7088

We met the C&RT crane boat heading towards the lock.

IMG_7091

Near the Ferry Farm Park I spotted a pack of hounds taking their morning stroll. This stretch of the river is lovely with rolling hills and countryside which looks like it has come from a painting. The woods along this stretch have names, Shipmans Wood, Ewans Wood, Watsons Piece all on the Trent Hills. It is just a shame that there are no moorings along this stretch, it would have been nice to have stopped at Hoveringham, but there are no moorings.

IMG_7104

The first lock for the day was Gunthorpe Lock. Keith had called the lock up to let them know we were on our way and so the lock was ready for us when we arrived.

IMG_7105

We left Gunthorpe Lock at 10.05 am.

The Gunthorpe moorings were busy as expected.

IMG_7108

Gunthorpe Road Bridge.

At Stoke Badolph there is The Ferry Boat Inn, but the moorings are well below par which is again a shame, because I am sure if proper pontoon moorings were available boaters would stop.

IMG_7113

We were over taken by a lovely little cruiser who we then shared Stoke Lock with.

IMG_7118

When we left Stoke Lock we left the cruiser to head off first, as there would be no holding them back.

IMG_7125

Last lock of the day was Holme Lock.

IMG_7127

Due to a couple of dutch barges coming down we moored up on the pontoon below the lock and waited our turn at 12.20 pm.

IMG_7203

One of the boats to leave the lock. Grace is a stunning boat and I told the owner so. 12.50 pm it was our turn to use Holme Lock, which is a slow filler.

IMG_7204

Having come up through Holme Lock we found a mooring and moored up at 1.30 pm. Lunch was the first thing to be done, because we were both famished.

IMG_7215

After lunch we locked the boat up and walked over the bank to check out the National Water Sports Centre ad Country Park.

IMG_7225

There were plenty of youngsters using the canal slalom. Now I have seen it may times on the television, but to see it up close and personal was exciting.

IMG_7229

IMG_7237

Rather them than me though.

IMG_7275

It really is very impressive.

IMG_7277

IMG_7310

Happy to pose for a photograph LOL.

IMG_7324

IMG_7325

The rowing lake is much longer than I expected. It is an amazing place and well worth the visit if you can find a mooring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails