*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 15 July 2013

Great Weekend, then on to Newark-on-Trent.

Map picture

Travelled 12.68 miles, worked 3 locks in a time of 4 hours 30 minutes.

We had a wonderful weekend at Gunthorpe and of course the weather helped. We were moored alongside Joan and Paul on NB Mintaka, who we had a wonderful time with over the weekend. It is such a small world because they moor their boat at Crick Marina and know a lot of people we know.

IMG_5561

IMG_5593

With it being a weekend and the sun being out there were a lot of people out on their boats and lots of people having fun on the water. There were plenty of boats coming and going off the pontoon, as people stopped for lunch or a pint at the pub and then carried on. I sat out in my chair and topped up my ever developing tan and watched the world go by. Saturday evening I made the suggestion that we should eat out at the Unicorn Hotel, which is a Marstons so we did not have to endure another salad. The meal was superb and so was the pint afterwards, so one to remember for the future.

IMG_5624

Sunday evenings sunset was stunning.

IMG_5629

Perfect way to end a perfect weekend.

This morning (Monday) it was time to leave, so with the lock not opening until 9.30 am I walked Paddy, got a few jobs done and we had a last chat with Paul and Joan before we both set off for the lock.

IMG_5647

Once again it was pastures new for us and for them and I for one was not disappointed with what I saw, the views are breath taking and the river is so pretty.

IMG_5651

Even the cows were enjoying a dip.

IMG_5661

Onward to Newark.

IMG_5686

Lovely old boat.

IMG_5690

We met the trip boat Sonning on its way out of Newark. Keith remembers the boat when it used to work on the Thames.

IMG_5694

Above Town Lock in Newark looking back.

IMG_5696

Town Lock and a view of Newark Castle. We waited to allow one of the C&RT big work boats into the lock first and we then followed them in and moored alongside them.

SAM_1937[3]

We shared Town lock with Crane No.13 on its way to do some maintenance work at Cromwell lock.

IMG_5699

Passing Newark Castle.

SAM_5673

We initially moored beyond Trent Bridge, near the pub barge, but decided that getting Paddy on and off was going to be difficult so we returned to opposite Newark Castle where it will be easier.

SAM_5675

I also think it maybe quieter as well. We are both looking forward to looking around Newark and sampling what it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails