*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 3 July 2013

Glen Parva to Birstall.

Map picture

Travelled 9.1 miles, worked 8 locks in a time of 4 hours 20 minutes.

Keith and I slept really well last night, neither of us heard the rain, I think after all the effort I put into the locks yesterday, I was destined to have a good nights sleep. We woke up to a bright morning, no wind and the sun doing its best to poke its head out. After walking Paddy and eating breakfast, we got the anchor out of the gas locker.

SAM_5564

With us heading on to the river, we made sure the anchor was ready should I need to throw it over board on our journey. One can never be to careful.

IMG_4724

We set off at 9.05 am and headed for Blue Bank Lock my first lock of the day.

SAM_5565

After that it was Kings Lock with the tea rooms.

SAM_5572

King’s lock, and the section of canalised river Sence starts below this lock. The gauge was inn the green and so no panic over a fast flow. The tea rooms were closed today, so no chance of a quick cuppa.

IMG_4728

The Fountain guys were out mowing the grass, one of the guys very kindly closed bottom gates for me on a couple of locks, it looked as thought someone was ahead of us leaving lock gates open and paddles up.

SAM_5573

Onward to Aylestone Mill Lock with a plaque in the ground by the lock.

IMG_4742

St Marys Mill Lock, with its Graffiti.

IMG_4744

The River Soar enters here for the first time, just below St. Mary’s Mill lock.

IMG_4747

Freemans Lock and Weir.

IMG_4749

Leicester City Football Club alongside Freeman’s lock.

IMG_4750

In to Leicester.

IMG_4759

Castle Gardens Moorings.

IMG_4767

IMG_4769

National Space Centre at Belgrave Lock.

IMG_4770

Moored above Birstall Lock.

IMG_4774

Having moored up above Birstall lock we took a walk around the southern part of Watermead Park. There were plenty of Geese, Swans and Ducks about. The Country Park is nearly two miles long and comprises over 12 lakes and smaller ponds, wildflower meadows, woodland, grassland and reed beds. It is an ideal spot for walking, cycling, picnics, bird watching, and fishing.
Running through the park are the River Soar and Grand Union Canal which provide an essential corridor for wildlife.

IMG_4789

The waterfowl gather at the feeding area for a chance to snatch some bread from a walker and her family.

IMG_4790

The lake below this Mammoth is known as Mammoth Lake. The Millennium Mammoth was built to commemorate the discovery of ice age mammoth remains found when Watermead was a quarry. It is a fabulous place and lots of wildfowl to see.

Back on the boat it was time to put my feet up before cooking dinner, feeding mog and dog.

I have not mentioned the locks so far, but that is about to change. Some of the locks were hard to work. North Lock in Leicester was dreadful. The ground paddles are missing and so you can only use the gate paddles. The bottom gates were very hard to move and I am quite sure a weaker person could end up with a hernia. Aylestone Lock filled very slowly. In all all the locks needs some work done on them.

SAM_5566

The ground paddles have locking devises on them and some were not locked.

SAM_5567

The gate paddles are supposed to have padlocks on them, but they were all missing, now this maybe because C&RT have stopped replacing them, or it maybe that someone has pinched them all. I know in the past this has happened a lot and at over £60 each it must cost a fortune to keep replacing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails