*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 19 July 2013

A short hop.

Map picture
Travelled 1.2 miles, worked 1 lock in a time of 50 minutes.

A very nice evening was spent at Fiskerton and we enjoyed our meal in The Bromley Arms. Keith had Beef and Ale Pie and I had Scampi, this was after a platter starter. This was all washed down by a pint each of Old Speckled Hen. After a quiet night we were both awake early. I was listening to Oyster Catchers flying past with there high pitched Kleep-Kleep call.

IMG_6030

With us being in no rush to do the short hop, we did not leave the pub mooring until 9.25 am and really did not speed along, I think we were on just over tick over.

IMG_6032

Our green and pleasant land is looking a little dry at the moment, the land has been baked in this mini heat wave and with that comes issues of making sure we dispose of BBQ’s properly, because there have been reports of grass fires breaking out.

As we approached Hazelford Lock we had hoped we may be able to moor up below the lock, but the lower moorings were all taken. So we waited for Neil the lock keeper to allow us in the lock.

SAM_1986[3]

I spoke to Neil the volunteer lock keeper and he said there were plenty of moorings above the lock, but it was a 2 metre wall. I said we would be prepared to give it a try.

IMG_6056

We did moor up and yes the wall is high, Paddy is going to have a panic attack when he see’s what he has to get over to have a wee later on. But with the help of Keith and I, he will manage to get off the roof. The reason for mooring up was we were concerned that if we went on to the Gunthorpe pontoon moorings and they were full, we would have to then carry on to Holme Lock. It was 6 miles to Gunthorpe and a further 7 miles on to Holme Lock and definitely by then all the moorings would be taken. With the weather being so good and the holidays, moorings are hard to come by at the moment and especially a 70ft mooring. Neil the lock keeper said “The main complaints on the River are the lack of mooring places” and I have to agree with him.

IMG_6040

There are a number of Oyster Catchers near the lock, they seem to like the River Trent as we have seen no end of them over the past week or so, along with Terns, Gulls, Herons, Ducks etc

IMG_6045

Hazelford Ferry Weir.

IMG_6062

The weir on the other side of the river known as The Nabbs.

I am looking forward to a peaceful weekend and some photograph opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails