*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Friday 10 August 2012

Moat House Br 74 to Wheaton Aston.

Map image

Travelled 12.7 miles, worked 2 locks in a time of 5 hours 10 minutes.

SAM_3292

Another 5 am wake up call and another foggy morning, but no where near as foggy as yesterday.

SAM_3297

Took Paddy out for his walk at 5.45 am and it was absolutely beautiful with the sun trying to break through the fog. The photograph above was taken from Moat House Bridge.

6 am we left our Moat House Bridge mooring heading off into the fog.

SAM_3300

SAM_3302

On mornings like this, it makes me realise how wonderful my life is.

 SAM_3314

We did not meet another boat until we got to Cross Green. There were a few moorings available, which is pretty unheard of on this stretch. The sun was now burning off the early morning fog and bathing us in warm sunshine, I was so glad I had chosen to wear my shorts for a second day.

SAM_3320

We got to the narrows at 7.15 am and I walked ahead to make sure nothing was coming in the opposite direction. With nothing approaching it was plain sailing for us all the way to Autherley Junction, where we turned on to the Shropshire Union Canal.

SAM_3327

With the stop lock done, I made us some coffee and toasted muffins, because I was feeling peckish.

SAM_3330

SAM_3332

Up past the Wolverhampton Boat Club.

IMG_2743

The 48 hour moorings between bridges 7 and 8 were heaving.

IMG_2744

The balustraded Avenue Bridge 10 looked lovely in the morning sunshine, it leads to Chillington Hall. Passing Brewood we headed towards Stretton Aqueduct.

IMG_2748

Coming from the other side a hire boat was approaching, but we got there first and said "thank you" to them for allowing us through.

IMG_2749

We past Bakewell and Chertsey but no sign of Sarah or Jim.

IMG_2751

FMC Butty Montgomery seems to have lost the rest of her hull.

IMG_2752

Gambia interests me, but cannot find anything about her.

IMG_2756

We arrived at Wheaton Aston Lock and were 3rd in the queue to go down. Boats were coming up as well from the sanitary station, which helped us all.

SAM_3337

Also in  the queue for the lock were Heather and Peter Underwood on Blackberry Way. We got to have a catch up chat with them both, whilst I helped with the lock and were to see them again later.

SAM_3340

Down through the lock and on to the sanitary station moorings to fill up with water, get rid of rubbish and to empty the toilet cassette. It was now very hot and shade was needed.

SAM_3343

Having finished at the sanitary station, we moved off and on towards Turners for diesel. At the moment they are charging 73.9p a litre, which is the cheapest on the cut. 505 litres later the tank was filled, we then had the deed of paying for it. The last time we filled up was at Turners in February, so that was not bad considering the amount of cruising we have done. Diesel paid for we decided not to go and wind at High Onn but to moor up on the towpath opposite Turners, where there was a nice shady spot with our name on it.

SAM_3345

All moored up, I suggested lunch in the Hartley Arms, as we have had salads for the past two days, Keith thought it a great idea, so we locked the boat up and headed off to the pub, where fish and chips were enjoyed with a pint each to wash it down. The meals were so good we have booked a table for Sunday lunch, as they have a carvey for £5.95, so I am looking forward to that. After lunch walking back to the boat, we stopped off and had a chat with Heather and Peter and were invited to join them for a cup of tea. The chairs came out as did the biscuits and mugs of tea and we sat and nattered, laughed and chatted some more about anything and everything. It was really nice to sit and chat to them both, because normally we only see them in passing. We were having such a wonderful time, that it was 5.10 pm before we realised it and so we said our goodbyes, as we needed to feed mog and dog. I am quite sure we will see them both again in not the to distant future.

Back on the boat, it was a sandwich for tea, as I was still full up from lunch, the TV is  on and yep I was glued again to the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails