*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 23 April 2012

Prees Branch.

Map image

After lunch, Keith and I went with cameras in hand for a walk up the rest of the Prees Branch.

SAM_2045[3]

You can walk about 3/4 mile up the arm.  The Prees stretch of canal was built in the early 1800s, as a branch of the Llangollen Canal, it was abandoned even before it was completed due to lack of finance. It was originally longer, reaching Quina Brook, though like many canal schemes it didn’t reach its original goal of Prees.

IMG_8643

Today it is a long pond and a quiet backwater for all kinds of water creatures, including the water vole, which did not show its face to us. Otters are also occasionally see, as well as birds such as mallard, moorhen, swans and kingfishers.

IMG_8684

Today Mrs Swan was sitting tight on her nest.

IMG_8673

Violets were very much in evidence along the towpath.

IMG_8671

I think this sheep needs a better hairdresser.

IMG_8650

There was a lot of Kingcup along the canal.

SAM_2049[3]

Bridge No4 is still standing and in good shape.

SAM_2057[3]

The watered section ends.

SAM_2059[3]

The drained section begins.

SAM_2061[3]

We arrived at a section which although it has a footpath sign on it, has clearly not been used for sometime and so we had to walk along the road to rejoin the canal. A little further the canal footpath diverted into a field, so we decided to turn around and walk back along from whence we came.

SAM_2086[3]

The water was beautifully clear and there was plenty of flora to see along the way, it was a very pleasant walk.

IMG_8675

Back on board our boat, I fetched in some coal from the hold and then it was time to cook something for dinner, so we are having Sweet and Sour Chicken with Rice, then it will be time to sit down and relax before feeding mog and dog, have a shower and then finally stoke up the fire before bedtime. Phew I am worn out just typing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails