*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 17 April 2012

Hurleston Locks to Wrenbury.

Map image

Travelled 5 miles, worked 5 locks in a time of 2 hours, 40 minutes.

IMG_8503

Through the night we had rain and strong winds, which woke me up at 3.30am. I then had an awful thought that our sale board on the bow may have been blown off, because I had not secured it back in its normal position, so at 3.40am, there I was in my PJ's out on the towpath in bare feet securing the board, which thankfully had not blown away. Once back on the boat, I then realised maybe I should have worn my boots, because goodness knows what I may have stepped in grrrr. Unfortunately I had woken Keith up, but he did come in handy to warm me back up again, because I was cold when I got back into bed. By the time I woke up again after a lovely nap, the wind had died down and the rain had gone. Anyone would have thought I had requested it.

We were ready to head off at 9.45am from our overnight mooring, with the sun out and the temperature warming up, we were in for a pleasant cruise.

IMG_8506

Just past bridge 2 we passed this beautiful farmhouse. Bache House is a Grade 2 listed building. The farmhouse with late C17 origins but early C19 appearance. It certainly looked impressive with the large pond or lake in front of it.

IMG_8508 

Mrs duck with her brood.

IMG_8509

Bridge 5 Platt's Bridge is looking very poorly and in some serious need of restoration.

IMG_8511

What a cracking chimney stack.

IMG_8512

Look what we spotted and no it is not Bonnie Bear, because we know where she is, but this bear is very similar. We past by the new Swanley Marina, which was not there in 2006.

IMG_8513

The first of the five locks today was Swanley No2, it was full when i got there, but No1 had a boat coming out of it as we approached so happy days.

IMG_8515

At the Baddiley Locks the lambs were wearing plastic jackets to keep them dry. Plastic jackets are put on lambs just hours after their birth to keep them dry and warm and to confuse predatory foxes. With the rain we had overnight they sure needed them.

IMG_8525

Just loved this Swan at the Baddiley offside moorings. I assume it came from a theme park, it appeared to be a hit with the chicken.

IMG_8527

Just hope he remembers to duck at the bridges. Not sure standing on the roof when the boat is moving is recommended practice.

The mornings cruise was very pleasant through pretty countryside and lots of farmland. This is what I remember about our 2006 cruise up here. We will be off for a walk around Wrenbury later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails