*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Tuesday 27 March 2012

Beeston to Chester.

Map image

Travelled 11.1 miles, worked 7 locks in a time of 5 hours.

IMG_7147

After another frosty night, we woke up to a stunning sunny morning with a fabulous view.

We were already for the off at 8.45am, with a view to getting close to Chester.

SAM_1388

We descended Iron Lock and past Chas Harderns, where Chas was busy working on one of his boats, so we had a quick chat as we past by.

IMG_7151

I waved to the gentleman in the signal box.

IMG_5175

The deer were out on the deer farm.

IMG_7153

We got our first glimpse of Beeston Castle a former Royal Castle.

IMG_7158

It was built in the 1220s by Ranulf de Blondeville, 6th Earl of Chester, (1170–1232), on his return from the Crusades. It has a long and exciting history. We hope to walk up to it one day. Past bridge 114 Nixons Bridge, there this about a mile and a half of boats moored on the offside. 6 years ago when we were last this way, a lot of them had no licence or an out of date licence, that has changed, every boat was up to date, so someone has done their job.

IMG_7168

This made me giggle as we made our way towards Chester.

IMG_7170

We had thought of stopping at Waverton, but it was only 11.30am, so decided to carry on into Chester, which meant I had 7 double locks to work. I was a little fortunate because some of the locks were in our favour.

IMG_7172 

Chemistry Lock which was my second to last lock of the day.

As we came out of the last lock Hoole Lane Lock, the floating restaurant boat.

IMG_7174

It was then onward to the moorings at Tesco.

IMG_7175

An RSPCA man was in action fishing three ducklings out of the canal.

IMG_7176

I do not know why he was doing what he was doing, but maybe the parents had left them.

We found a mooring behind the Mecca Bingo Hall at 1.45pm, we tied up and the kettle went on for a much needed coffee and I made us both a bacon sandwich.

After a late lunch we thought we would take a stroll into Chester to get our bearings.

SAM_1398

I can see I am going to love Chester with its beautiful buildings. We are now back at the boat and the police helicopter is flying overhead so something is amiss. I am off now to feed mog and dog, plus feed ourselves, so I will post more tomorrow.

Chat soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails