*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Sunday 26 February 2012

Amington Golf Course, Alvecote to Bridge No.55, Kings Bromley.

Map image

IMG_6511

Travelled 16.2 miles, worked 5 locks in a time of 7 hours 45 minutes.

The sunset last night was lovely and so was the peace and quiet. In fact it was so quiet, I slept like a baby until Keith got up at 6am. As he was up, I suggested he make us a cuppa which we enjoyed in bed.

IMG_5151

As the sun came up, there was a mist on the cut.

By 7.15am Paddy and I were off the boat and walking down the towpath.

IMG_5159

The fires had been stoked and the smoke was filling the air.

7.55am we were off and running towards Glascote Locks.

IMG_6521

The runner on the towpath clearly had more energy than I did to be running so early in the morning. Having done the two locks, we made our way to Fazeley Junction, where it looks like the building work has ground to a halt.

IMG_6524

Either that or they are very tidy builders.

IMG_6529

Sometimes a horse just has to have a roll.

We past through Hopwas, where there were plenty of walkers and cyclists about and on toward Whittington the home of the Poly Tunnel.

IMG_6536

It will not be long before they will be full of ripe Strawberries.

We were between bridges 80 and 81 when I spotted NB Valerie.

IMG_6542

Les and Jaqueline came out to greet us, and to ask if we would like a cuppa. Now who are we to refuse such a lovely request, so we pulled in at their bow and began to moor up, the “Northern Belle” part of the “Venice Simplon-Orient-Express” came past on the railway line not far from the moorings. Also coming past us was Historic Working Boat Victoria with Michael steering.

IMG_6549

We had a quick chat as he went on his way to Napton, it is always lovely to see him and his fantastic smile. We joined Les and Jaqueline on Valerie and had a wonderful natter with them. It was so lovely to meet the lady who has put a smile on Les face. Jaqueline has made him a very happy man and has clearly embraced her new life on the cut.

IMG_6551

Having spent an hour chatting away, Keith was eager to get underway again, so we said our goodbyes at 12.30pm and wished them both well for their Summers cruising. I am sure we will see them again at some point.

We got to Streethay Wharf and were hailed by Andrew off of NB Granny Buttons, who was moored at the wharf. He just wanted to say hello.

IMG_6557

As we approached Fradley Junction at 2.15pm a young lad opened the swing bridge for us, which was very kind of him.

We said cheerio to the Coventry Canal and turned on to the Trent and Mersey Canal, where there were plenty of people walking, cycling and sitting outside of the The Swan pub.

IMG_6560

We passed by Historic Working Boat Dove and I stepped off of the boat to work the locks. There were no moorings to be had at Fradley Junction, so we carried on to where we are now moored for the night. Since getting here, we have collected wood, and I got some coal out of the hold for the back cabin stove, which is cooking our dinner. It has been another long cruising day, but a satisfying one, having met up with people we know. Even though I keep harping on about needing rain, today's cruising was in lovely warm sunshine, Spring is coming I feel. I am now off to check dinner, peel potatoes and to feed mog and dog.

See you tomorrow x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails