*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 30 November 2011

A walk into Market Bosworth.

Map image

Hi Folks.

The wind had dropped and the rain had stopped, so we ventured out with my small rucksack on my back, we walked into Market Bosworth, which was about a mile from the boat and up hill.

SAM_1034

We walked over the railway line, where Santa had been over the weekend.

SAM_1037

On the way up the hill we came across this garden which was advertising the Market Bosworth Young Farmers. I wonder if the guys were meant for Bonfire Night?

SAM_1054

We also passed this stunning little thatched cottage, in the garden it had a lovely hand water pump and old clothes wringer, as well as other fantastic items.

As we approached the Market town we walked past The Dixie Grammar School.

SAM_1039

The earliest records for the school date back to 1320. The school was re-founded in 1601, this was done under the will of an Elizabethan merchant and Lord Mayor of London, Sir Wolstan Dixie, by his great-nephew Sir Wolstan Dixie of Appleby Magna, who came to live in Market Bosworth in 1608. The main building of today's school was built in 1828, which is shown in the photograph.

In the small market square was the Wednesday market, which had a few stalls. We stopped for a coffee in Café Torte down a little passageway just near the butchers in the market square, we got a pot of coffee for two and had 2 cups each for £3.30! This is more than we would normally pay, but needs must.

SAM_1042

This quintessential English market town has some beautiful houses. The town itself dates back to the Bronze age and has a long and varied history.

SAM_1044

The town has a large and outstanding church.  St. Peter’s Church looks very grand with a well groomed church yard. The church was open, and very beautiful it was inside too.

SAM_1050

It dates from the 14th and 15th centuries.

SAM_1047

In the tower their are eight bells, 2 of which date back to 1624 and 1630.

SAM_1046

The font dates back to 13th century, unfortunately during the 20th century a pinnacle crashed from the tower through the roof and severely damaged the font.

As we walked back through the town, I went to the market and bought this years Christmas cards, vegetables and some Christmas nibbles, whilst I did that Keith bought us a pheasant from J. W. Lampard & Son Butchers for £3.50.

SAM_1056

It will be part of our Christmas dinner.

Having really enjoyed our time in Market Bosworth, we began the walk back to the boat, which was all down hill, with a fabulous view across the valley. Back on the boat, I got on with lighting the back cabin stove, I then put my mind to making cheese and onion on toast, whilst Keith got on with updating Hadar's blog. With the back cabin stove lit, Marmite took up her position on the side bed, where it was nice and warm and Paddy crashed out in his bed in the saloon, anyone would think they both worked hard.

The afternoon is rolling along and I have nothing else planned, so I think that I will be putting my feet up until it is time to cook dinner.

Have read this in the Leicester Mercury about the water situation on the Leicester Line. If things do not improve, I hate to think what next year will be like.

Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails