*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Monday 28 November 2011

Christmas comes to Shackerstone Station.

Yesterday we got into the Christmas Spirit by walking up to Shackerstone Station to see the the first of the Santa Special trains they are running for Christmas.

SAM_0996

The Christmas tree in the station foyer, looked fantastic and very festive, who ever decorated it must have had a wonderful time and did a very good job.

They had a steam engine running which was brilliant. Sir Gomer was on duty for the day.

SAM_1003

I love steam engines, there is something so magical about them when they are in steam.

IMG_3987

The stoker was certainly keeping the fire box glowing.

IMG_3991

With all the passengers onboard, there was a blow of the whistle and the train was off down the track. From what I saw there was not an empty coach as the train sped down the track towards Shenton Station three-quarters of a mile away. I hope that everyone had a wonderful ride, they were expected to be gone about an hour and a half.

SAM_1008

SAM_1005

Keith really loves steam engines, in fact he loves any railway engine, so it was a great opportunity to take a few photographs for the both of us.

IMG_4006

With the train puffing off into the distance, we went into the Victorian Parlour Tearoom and had a coffee.

SAM_0997

You can either sit outside, or do as we did and sit inside with the blazing fire.

SAM_1010

It is a charming tearoom with a lovely atmosphere and a unique collection of old memorabilia. After our coffee and a warm in front of the fire we watched a type 2 class 25 D5217 (later 25067) taking on water for the steam heating boiler before shunting coaches through the station, taking good advantage of being able to run round.

SAM_1012

It was an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday morning.

The rest of our day was spent on the boat, Keith got on with his new rag rug and I pottered about doing jobs and cooking food, for dinner we had roast chicken with roast potatoes and veg. The evening was spent watching X-Factor Results, where Janet was sent home, which was no surprise really and after that it was "I'm A Celebrity" which saw Pat Sharp and Lorraine Chase go home. I was surprised Lorraine was voted out, she is such a lovely lady. Pat got well and truly beat by Fatima Whitbread in a head to head challenge. After all that excitement it was then time for bed and a good nights sleep.

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails