*****Is going there and back to see how far it is.*****













Hi I am Jo…wife, lover, best friend and soulmate to Keith. Lover of all things to do with nature and the canals. I am passionate about the Waterways and its history.


I hope you will join me in my rambles and do please comment – I love to hear from and meet new people in blogland!

Life on the cut through my eyes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
*****Stay safe and warm out there..*****













Wednesday 2 November 2011

Braunston Br 88 to the top of Hillmorton Locks.

Map image

Hi Folks.

A stunning morning this morning when I stepped off of the boat with Paddy. The breeze was getting up, which had kept Keith awake through the night, with the water lapping at the stern of the boat, I did not hear a thing which makes a change and I even managed to sleep until 7.30am woohooo. There was no time for a cuppa in bed this morning, because Paddy wanted out, so as I said it was a stunning morning as we walked along the towpath.

IMG_3337

Before we left our over night mooring, a flock of Canada Geese flew in to find their breakfast.

IMG_3334

Many see them as pests, but I just see a graceful bird.

IMG_3351

We set off at 9.10am, into the Autumn sunshine and a gathering breeze, but with the stunning views the breeze was ignored.

IMG_3354

We met two pairs of swans coming towards us, one of the cobs then realised there were these other swans on his patch and went about seeing them off.

IMG_3356

His pen just let him get on with protecting their patch, whilst she looked on alongside our boat.

It is a beautiful area, which shows off the ridge and furrow field patterns really well, these date back to the medieval times.

600px-Ridge_and_furrow-en.svg

We passed by Barby Marina, which is still unfinished and looks very quiet. Having read Narrowboat World, it looks like there are real problems there. No somewhere that looks inviting. On the Barby linear moorings we saw Kaz on NB Archangel and gave her a wave as we passed by.

As we approached Hillmorton we passed Maffi on NB Milly M, he popped out and said good morning. I then saw a large bow coming towards us and soon realised it was Historic working boat Badsey, which moors in front of the cafe at Hillmorton.

IMG_3373

I do so love the old boats. We said "good morning" as they passed by. Before we knew it we were at the top of Hillmorton Locks and the decision had to be be made, do we carry on down the locks, or moor up? With a mooring place available, we chose to moor up for the day. The worry was we may get down the bottom and find there was no mooring, so we pulled in moored up and I shut Hadar's engine down. We have no digital signal for the TV, but on the plus side we have a good 3G signal for the computer, so it is not all bad. After lunch I think we will take a walk down the locks to see who is around, and then we will see what the rest of the day brings. Chat soon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am sorry but I DO NOT publish ANONYMOUS comments, nice ones or otherwise, so if you want your comment posted please leave your name when posting. I will not post SPAM or advertising for products either. I will then do my best to reply. Thank you for leaving me a message.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails